- 97% of the water on the earth is salt water; only 3% is fresh water. Most of the fresh water stored on the earth is frozen in glaciers.
- Each day the sun evaporates 1,000,000,000,000 (a trillion) tons of water.
- Watermelon is 93% water. A cucumber is 97% water.
- "Water" was the first word that Helen Keller learned. "Water" was the last word spoken by President Ulysses S. Grant.
- In some deserts, rain is so uncommon that the natives do not have a word for it.
- Over 42,000 gallons of water are needed to grow and prepare the food for a typical Thanksgiving dinner for eight in the United States. This is enough water to fill a 30 by 50-foot swimming pool!
- In a one hundred year period, a water molecule spends 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, about 2 weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.
- A person can survive without food for more than 30
days, but less than a week without
- The first water pipes made in the US were fire-charred, bored-out logs.
- There are over 1 million miles of water pipelines and aqueducts in the US and Canada, enough to circle the globe 40 times.
- A single birch tree will give off 70 gallons of water per day in evaporation.
- An acre of corn will give off 4,000 gallons of water
per day in evaporation.
Last updated 2/7/1999